Ginger Carrot Soup
Fall is just around the corner, leaves are starting to drop, and it's almost sweater weather which means it's time for me to share my ginger carrot soup recipe with you. This is a great pairing soup for springtime or fall. Lots of chopping involved so I suggest finding a strong vegetable chopper that can cut through hard carrots or at least onions and apples for this recipe. I use all organic ingredients in all of my recipes which is a bit more expensive but it's much better for you, and you can really taste a difference in flavor.
Makes 2 Quarts
2 lbs baby carrots (pre-peeled), chopped
1 Honeycrisp apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 c chopped yellow onion
1/4 c olive oil
1 lemon, juiced (or 2 T bottled lemon juice)
2 T chopped fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 T pink Himalayan sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
6 c vegetable broth, divided
3/4 heavy whipping cream
1/4 c roughly chopped fresh thyme
Garnish: fresh rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl toss together carrot, apple, onion, ginger, oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper until evenly coated. Spread on prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 mins or until soft. Stir twice in duration.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 2 mins. Then place half in a blender, with half the called for vegetable broth. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer soup into dutch oven, add cream and thyme, and place over med-high heat.
- Repeat with remaining vegetables in blender with broth and add to dutch oven.
- Bring to boil, then simmer and serve garnished with a rosemary sprig!